
Okay, I’ll jump on the bandwagon. Many of our talented bloggers seem to be blogging about books (imagine that, at a library!) So, I hereby make my own meager contribution. I would like to know some of the more unusual or intriguing book titles you have come across. To get the ball rolling, here are some I have recently discovered:
Be Bold with Bananas - Crescent Books
How to Avoid Huge Ships - John W. Trimmer
If at all Possible, Involve a Cow - Neil Steinberg
Fancy Coffins to Make Yourself - Dale L. Power (shout-out to cardboard queen)
Please feel free to add your contributions. Have a great day!!








5 comments:
I love this topic. Working in Acquisitions we often see unusual titles! I don't have one immediately available at the moment, so I'll just comment on the ones you've provided.
Hhhmmm...the one about involving a cow sounds... well...interesting. I'm betting that Denise of Mahalo fame has some comments about that one. :-)
And making your own coffins, morbid I'd say. And are they implying that a coffin could be made out of cardboard? Hope it doesn't rain at all during the funeral if that's the case and one is being used!
Thanks for the great topic thisandthat.
"If At All Possible, Involve a Cow" really IS an excellent title. I see it is actually about college pranks... but in my family we believe that cows can add a nice touch to almost any occasion! :-)
I think building your own coffin is a unique way to insure that you get exactly what you want AND it could really tick off some relatives. I have a friend who works at a mortuary and I once asked him if he would accept a client in a homemade coffin. He said he would; we didn't discuss cardboard, but I'll ask him the next time I see him (providing our meeting is not in any professional capicity on his part. Aren't there several places in the Caribbean where the locals make very ornated coffins shaped like all sorts of interesting items? I thinks we have a book about that in the system AND in the past we had a book with instructions for building pet coffins...I don't know if either is still available. As to making one out of cardboard...why not? It could be the wave of the future: disposable coffins. It's a very green idea.
Sorry, I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone with my quick, off-the-cuff comments this morning! I thought the mention of card board was part of the book's title.
A quick google search and I was able to pull this up -- from http://www.matthewscremation.com/products/cardboardCaskets.asp?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=cardboard+casket&OVRAW=cardboard%20coffin&OVKEY=cardboard%20casket&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=2158417521&OVKWID=20442714521
"CARDBOARD CASKETS
The utilization of cardboard is the most environmental and cost effective material used in the manufacturing of caskets.
Elder-Davis cloth-covered cardboard casket features a one piece precision die-cut body design, triple wall construction, leak resistant liner and weight tested at 500 lbs. We offer a vast array of dignified casket designs that meet the economic needs of our clients."
And the accompanying picture of one of their caskets is really quite lovely. Who knew? I stand corrected. Sorry Cardboard Queen! :-)
Hi Queenie (as in Cardboard), you big sweetie! Thanks for checking my blog, I'll have to reciprocate. :-)
And don't get me wrong, I love cardboard! It was just the initial imagine I got in my head of a casket made from it. I couldn't get over the idea of spending eternity in a discarded Kenmore Refrigerator cardboard box. But, who knew that the reality of "Cardboard Caskets" could be so refined?? I love it!
Post a Comment